Urbanization and Everyday Mobility in Muscat/OmanCopyright: © Kulturgeo RWTH Aachen
Urbanization and Everyday Mobility in Muscat/Oman
For about four decades, the capital of the Sultanate of Oman has been experiencing an extremely dynamic urbanization process and increasing social and spatial fragmentation. Due to the growth of residential areas and the dispersed distribution of functions in the capital region of Muscat, the volume of traffic has risen continuously. Despite considerable efforts in the transport development, the highways are affected by traffic jams and accidents on a daily basis, making the traffic situation a permanent social issue. Against this background, the research project investigates the interplay between mobility practices of urban households and urban structural conditions in Muscat.
- Client German Research Foundation
- Cooperating partners Habitat Unit, TU Berlin: Dr. Sonja Nebel
- Project leaders Chair of Cultural Geography, RWTH Aachen: Prof. Dr. Carmella Pfaffenbach, Maike Didero
- Project timeframe 2015 to 2018
- Further information Projectwebsite of the Chair of Cultural Geography